Follow these steps to set up your Oculus Rift in order to use Gravity Sketch.
Setting up the headset
1. Download and open the Oculus Software.
3. Remove the protective films from your headset lenses.
4. Connect the headset cable’s HDMI connector to the HDMI port on your GPU. Make sure you plug it into your graphics card, not your motherboard’s HDMI port.
5. Connect the headset cable’s USB connector to a USB 3.0 port on your computer; USB 3.0 ports are blue.
6. Connect the sensor cable to another USB 3.0 port. Once all three of these cables have been plugged in, you should see green icons next to them in the Oculus software indicating that they’ve been connected successfully.
7. Click next in the Oculus software. Then click “Update Now” on the firmware update screen. Do not unplug the the headset while the firmware is being updated.
Connect the Oculus Remote
1. Pull the plastic tab out from the battery door on the back of the remote.
2. Press and hold the select button, which is the main button at the top of the remote.
3. The remote should automatically connect to the headset.
Setting up the Oculus Sensors
1. Open Oculus software, head to “Devices” in the menu, click “Configure Rift,” and select “Sensor Setup.”
2. Enter your height.
3. Place sensors between three and six feet from where your head will be during Rift use. Make sure nothing gets in the way between the sensor and where your headset would be, even if you crouch or move during use.
4. Hold the headset in front of you and move it around. You’ll get a notification when the headset and sensor have connected.
5. Follow the steps again for the second sensor.
Setting up the Oculus Touch controllers
1. After connecting the Oculus Sensors, you’ll automatically be prompted to set up the Oculus Touch controllers. If you weren’t prompted, head to the “Devices” menu, hit “Configure Rift,” then press Add Left Touch.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the Left Touch controller.
3. Follow the process again for the Right Touch.
Setting up the Guardian System
1. After setting up the Touch controllers, you’ll automatically be prompted to set up the Guardian System, which maps out where you’ll be using the Rift and warns you when you’re near the boundaries of that area. If you weren’t automatically prompted, in the Oculus software head to “Configure Rift” and hit Guardian System.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the Guardian System.
Other things you need to know
Your Rift should now be set up and ready to use, but there are still a few things to do before you actually start using it.
For starters, you may want to adjust the Rift to better fit your head. To do this, put the Rift on, then tighten the straps around the Rift. The main strap should ride relatively low, and the tracking triangle should sit at the bony bump on the back of your head. When adjusted properly, the weight should feel balanced around your head.
If a certain component doesn’t work properly or you need to reset something, thankfully it’s relatively easy to pop into the settings in the Oculus Software and reset it yourself.
And, you can follow the instructions for a part above – you don’t have to start at the very beginning and work your way down every time you set up a new sensor or remote.